Virtual Student Resources
Services for Your Online Success!
NWF State College has a large variety of resources available to assist our students with academic endeavors. Our online students typically use the resources listed below. This list may also be found within the D2L Brightspace Learning Management System when accessing online and hybrid courses. Look for the "NWFSC Resources" set of links.
Find help for using D2L Brightspace tools, overcoming technical difficulties such as logging into D2L Brightspace, Student FAQs, tips to succeed online and more.
Request help with online courses.
Find help for E-mail, network services and telecommunications.
Note the first day of classes, drop/add, and exam dates.
The ASC is a free on-campus service to all students, and provides email tutoring for online students.
The college has an open-door admission policy and accepts applications year-round.
Academic Advisors are present at each of our seven locations and can assist students with registration, as well as with developing their long-term education goals.
Shop online for all your textbooks needs and more.
The NWF State College Career Center provides resources and opportunities to students and prospective students to help them discover career paths through assessments, career advising, workshops, employment and internship opportunities.
CLEP and DANTES (DSST)
Take advantage of CLEP - College Level Exam Program, or DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST) to reduce the number of courses needed to complete your degree.
If you are a student with a documented disability that may limit your academic success, this website will provide you with information about academic accommodations and support services coordinated through Disability/Special Needs Support Services.
Northwest Florida State College upholds the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act
which gives students the right to inspect, review, and amend their educational records.
Additionally for Online Students
Student Privacy - Federal Requirement 4.8.2
Procedures / Guidelines - For Ensuring Student Privacy in Distance Learning Courses
- Courses are delivered through the Learning Management System (LMS) known as Desire2Learn (D2L) which is facilitated using a secure server.
- Students use Desire2Learn (D2L) to log in to their online and hybrid courses.
- Students are assigned a unique username and select a password of their choice that complies with sound password creation practice and is known only to the student.
- Students have complete privacy for their work, tests, quizzes and grades.
- Students are encouraged by the IT department to change their password frequently.
- Students are cautioned not to share their password with others.
- Students must log out after every session to ensure security of account.
The LRC website offers various resources to help with your research needs.
NWF State College is an official "Military Friendly School" and offers a variety of specialized services and programs for members of the military, veterans and their dependents.
In keeping with current educational practice, students will be expected to use computer technology and Internet communication throughout their college experience. Find locations and hours for open computer labs available for student use and success at this site.
Proctored testing occurs in several ways for our online students. Regardless of where you are located, instructors try to accomodate your testing needs.
Reading to Learn (R2L)
Reading to Learn (R2L) is a project of NWF State College designed to support students' learning through direct instruction of reading strategies. Reading strategies are powerful tools that help students become skilled readers.
Respondus Lockdown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within a learning management system to prevent cheating during online exams.
- Getting started video tutorial: Watch Video
- If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the Lockdown Browser, you may wish to first clear the web browser history on your computer. Instructions for clearing your browser history are located at HERE. If issues continue, you may wish to contact technical support using the information HERE.
Part of Academic Support. Smarthinking is an online, real-time tutoring service providing FREE help from qualified tutors in writing, math, Spanish, accounting, economics, chemistry, physics, biology, anatomy and physiology. Additionally, students in the nursing programs are able to access specific online tutoring for subjects in the nursing field. Students may contact a live tutor for immediate help, schedule a session, or submit papers or questions for feedback via email.
NWF State College Testing Centers administer college admission tests, placement tests, proctored exams, ACT/SAT, GED, CLEP, and DSST (formerly known as DANTES).
NWF State College instructors use Turnitin, a plagiarism detection tool. The Turnitin support site for students may be used for assistance. Also available is a Turnitin System Status page for information about when the site is experiencing problems.