|We hope to answer several of the typical faculty questions here. Several other areas are available within this Faculty section of the online campus website for finding assistance with D2L and other teaching tools. Thank you for sending additional questions through our Faculty Request for Technical Support Form. We strive to grow this area of our website to help answer your questions!|
Questions typically asked of Learning Technologies by Instructors:
- Online faculty - Start of term assistance
- Be sure to upload your syllabus to D2L. Upload Syllabus - Reference (PDF)
- Check your D2L Classlist for accuracy against the roster in Banner. Notify LTech of any discrepancies as soon as possible.
- Be sure to send a welcoming E-mail to your students and include information about your course orientation, avenues for getting a good start and ways to be successful in your course. You may want to attach the course syllabus too. Welcome Email - Reference (PDF)
- Be sure to let your students know there is also an Online Student Orientation for using D2L.
- Adjust the Start Date of your D2L course if needed. Adjust Start Date - Reference (PDF)
- If you use the same Content from semester to semester, D2L has a Copy function to move the content from a past semester into the current semester. Remember to adjust any dates to reflect the current term. Copy Content - Reference (PDF)
Contact NWF Online Campus/LTech using the Faculty Request for Technical Support.
Students are sometimes withdrawn for non-payment.
When a WN is reported for a student, they will automatically be removed from your D2L course. You will need to contact the Registrar if you decide to later reinstate them. That reinstatement by the registrar will automatically put them back into the D2L course. Note: it's a good idea to regularly backup your D2L gradebook but you can access information about that student that is withdrawn by looking under the Classlist, Enrollment Statistics, and then click the dropdown next to their name for more detail.
Brand new students sometimes take a 24 hour turnaround time to show up in your D2L course.
Please review the Publisher Content section within this faculty area to find publisher support sites and representatives contact information. Have your ISBN number ready.
Please review the Special Access directions.
The specific instructions may be found within the Faculty Handbook which is accessible through Raidernet under your Faculty tab. Reference for Entering Final Grades.
Generally, after logging into Raidernet and going to the Faculty Tab, you'll find a dropdown to select Midterm or Final Grades for a class. After entering all the grades be sure to click Submit. Please proofread before clicking Submit!
Pinning a course in D2L allows you to quickly access the course from the minibar no matter where you happen to be in D2L.
Best Practice: Many faculty pin all their courses for this term. At the end of the term, unpin the course and pin the courses for the next term.
- Login to D2L
- Click the "Select a course..." dropdown in the D2L minibar (next to My Home at the very left top of the page).
- Next to the listing of courses there is a push pin. Click the pin for those courses that you would like to have appear at the top of this list.
Note: Refresh the page and those pinned courses now appear at the top of that listing for quick and easy access.
Unpin: Click the pin again to remove the course from showing at the top of this course list.
Searching for the course to pin: If your course doesn't show in the list, use the provided box to search for it and then click the push pin.
The Course Reference Number (CRN) found in Banner is associated with every D2L course.
Finding the CRN within D2L:
- Login to D2L and then click the course name.
- Click Edit Course and then click Course Offering Information.
- The course CRN can be found as the first 5 digits of the Course Offering Code. This is also the place where you may adjust the Start and End Dates for the course if the need exists.
Online faculty - End of term assistance
Send your students a closing E-mail about your experience in working with them this term and encourage them to continue their education. Open the door for discussion about anything related to their experience in your course. Encourage Course Evaluations.
Any students receiving an "I" will be changed to an "I-student" in your D2L course which then allows them continued access. You may also need to adjust release dates on items such as quiz or dropbox items for these students who receive an "I".
You may extend the End Date of your D2L course if needed so students are able to view feedback on final projects. Adjust End Date - Reference (PDF)
It is important to safeguard your grades and course contents.
- Plan to Export your D2L Grades to retain a local backup copy. Export D2L Grades - Reference (PDF)
- Plan to Export your D2L Course to retain a local copy for backup. Export D2L Course - Reference (PDF)
As you finish out the term, notice the courses for the next term are available in your D2L course listing. Begin to build the Content, Communication and Assessment areas as soon as you are ready. Contact the Bookstore to learn if your textbook has a new edition for the upcoming term and adjust your D2L course content appropriately. Please do not forget to adjust dates within your D2L course if copying content from semester to semester.
Please let us know if you have additional questions that were not answered here. We want this webpage to be helpful for our faculty support. Send suggestions.